Tuesday, December 28, 2010

I don't think this exercise could have come at a worse time. Trying to do this during the holiday was impossible, a house full of family, kids, the stress of everything going on, I could not focus on this no matter how much I tried.

"One can not lead another where one has not gone himself" This instantly reminds me of when I was pregnant. I gained 70 pounds so I had to see a nutritionist. I walked in and there is a lady sitting at a desk and she is about 5'2 and weights over 200 pounds. I am a very fit person and my diet is very strict. I was in shock and found the situation extremely laughable because I could not wrap my head around how this lady was going to give me advice about my weight gain. While I was sitting there she drank soda and ate a big mac. I gave her the passive smile and nodded but took nothing away from our meeting.
I think that as a health care professional you have to lead by example or no one will take you serious.

1 comment:

  1. Abbi,

    I also had a hard time focusing on the exercise. Also the person I choose for the exercise was my grandma and when I pictured her she was sitting at my kitchen table drinking coffee with her winter coat on (because she was always cold) and that just did not go with the sound of the waves in the background. So I spent the majority of the time trying to picture her on the beach instead of focusing on the exercise.

    As for your experience with the nutritionist that is just awful! When I was pregnant with my first daughter I gained 60 lbs and my doctor put me on an 1800 calorie diet which I refused to follow. Now years later I am studying nutrition and I realize that I gained 60 lbs because, I was underweight with a BMI below 18.5 which is considered unhealthy. After I had my daughter I struggled alot with my weight because of what the doctor had said to me but, now I know that I am at a healthy weight for my size and that I never want to be that small again. I also understand what it is like to worry about your weight and I know that I would never take advice about my diet from someone that is overweight therefore it is extremley important to me to maintain my weight. I just can't believe that these women allow themselves to get that way in the first place! You would think that they would know better.

    ReplyDelete